1. Get rid of bad smell
Charcoal absorbs odors very well. Therefore, if you have an unpleasant odor in your refrigerator or kitchen cabinet, put a bowl of charcoal tablets inside. You can also put them in the bottom of the trash can, in the dirty laundry basket, or near the cat litter box. Change your pills regularly and odors will no longer bother you.
With the help of activated carbon, you can also get rid of the smell in the shoes. Crush a few tablets, pour them into a cloth bag and put it in your shoes at night. If you do this every evening, the shoes will always be fresh.
2. Protect against mold
Mold usually appears in places with high humidity. At home, this is a bathroom, kitchen, window frames and window sills. Charcoal will help prevent its occurrence by absorbing excess moisture from the air.
Simply place the activated charcoal tablets on plates and place them where there is a risk of mold. Replace them periodically with fresh ones.
If mold has already appeared, first get rid of it, and then put the dishes with coal.
3. Purify drinking water
Carbon is used in many filter systems. It does not kill bacteria and viruses, but cleanses water from various organic particles, as well as residual chlorine and other disinfectant additives.
With the help of activated carbon, you can make a simple filter with your own hands. It won’t clean as thoroughly as factory filters, but it will still improve the taste and quality of your water. This option will help out in the country or in field conditions.
- Take a large plastic bottle and cut off the bottom of it. Poke a few holes in the cork.
- Place the bottle in another container, such as a glass jar or plastic canister, with the neck down.
- Put the first filter layer in the bottle – gauze or other cloth. Don’t forget to boil it before use.
- Pour coal into a third of the volume of the bottle. It would take too many tablets for this, so it is better to use already crushed coal, which is sold in large packages.
- Lay down another layer of fabric – your makeshift filter is ready. If desired, you can add an additional layer of river sand: it will filter out large impurities. Rinse and bake the sand, sprinkle over the coal, and put another piece of cloth on top.
The first few liters of water must be drained to remove small particles of coal. Also note that hot water cannot be filtered, it must be at room temperature or cold.
4. Make a face mask
Instead of buying a black mask from the store, try making your own. You probably already have all the ingredients you need at home. Such a mask will be especially useful for oily skin, because coal cleanses pores, helps with black spots and inflammation.
5. Brighten your teeth
For this purpose, coal can be used in two ways:
- Crush the tablet and add some water to make a paste. Apply it to your brush and brush your teeth as usual. Then rinse your mouth thoroughly with water. Coal is a rather strong abrasive, so this method is best used no more than once a month.
- Mix crushed charcoal with regular toothpaste for a more gentle remedy. It is suitable if you have sensitive teeth.
6. Help the plants
Activated charcoal will be a good helper for gardeners and indoor plant lovers.
- If you notice that mold is appearing on the ground, remove the moldy layer and pour crushed coal into the pot. It will absorb excess moisture and prevent mold from growing.
- Dig a few tablets into the soil when planting seedlings outdoors. This will keep the roots from rotting.
- Treat the cut or “wound” on the stem with charcoal powder. This will speed up the healing.
- Add one tablet to the water in which you will be placing the cuttings. This will protect them from rotting and, accordingly, will help the rooting process.
7. Cover scratches on black furniture
Just rub the tablet on the damaged area, and then shake off the particles from the surface. Charcoal will paint over a small scratch, and it will not be evident.