Look into the eyes — and you will see the soul… and sometimes — wrinkles, puffiness, dark circles under the eyes J In order for this «sometimes» to happen as rarely as possible, the skin around the eyes needs special care. Why you should use eye cream, how to choose it and how to apply it correctly, read below.
Why the skin around the eyes needs special care
The skin of the eyelids has a number of features:
- It is very thin, mobile at the expense of the eyeball, has little collagen and elastin, is often exposed to UV radiation — therefore prone to the early appearance of wrinkles and photoaging.
- It has much fewer sebaceous glands, which can lead to dehydration.
- The close location of blood vessels can provoke dark circles and bruises under the eyes.
- Fluffness and a small amount of subcutaneous fat affects the loss of elasticity and the appearance of swelling.
Such natural differences in this area of the face require the use of special cosmetics that will protect and moisturize the delicate skin around the eyes. However, remember that products for the eye area can only improve the condition of the skin and correct the problem, but cannot completely get rid of it or overcome anatomical features.
How to choose the right eye cream
It is better to choose an under-eye cream according to the individual characteristics and needs of the skin in this delicate area of the face:
In the absence of other features, preventive creams for the skin around the eyes containing moisturizing and softening components can be used up to 25 years of age. After 25-30 years, the level of collagen gradually decreases, so it is worth starting to use products with hyaluronic acid, and from the age of 35 — age creams with vitamins A, E, ceramides, alpha-lipoic and hyaluronic acid, collagen, coenzyme Q10. Rejuvenating eye creams reduce the appearance of wrinkles, puffiness and pigmentation caused by age-related breakdown of proteins, elastin and collagen.
2. Wrinkles and «crow’s feet»
With the appearance of the first wrinkles in the eye area, it is worth thinking about age care to reduce their number and prevent the appearance of new ones. Choose an eye cream that contains: retinoids (stimulates collagen production), antioxidants vitamin E, grape, green tea and witch hazel extract (protects against free radicals), hyaluronic acid (moisturizing effect), peptides (regenerates the skin).
3. Dark circles under the eyes.
Circles under the eyes can be of different shades (bluish, purple, brown and dark yellow) and indicate various problems in the body: close location of blood vessels, pigmentation, liver disease, dullness and dehydration, smoking or hereditary predisposition. Depending on the cause of the appearance, you can use a cream against dark circles with vitamin C and kojic acid (brighten the skin), caffeine and cucumber (drain), vitamin K and retinol (strengthening effect), extracts of horse chestnut, witch hazel and propolis (refresh, stimulate renewal) .
4. Swelling, traces of fatigue and stress.
Swelling under the eyes can occur due to fatigue, lack of sleep, reaction to alcohol or excess salt in the diet, insufficient removal of eye makeup, diseases of internal organs. In addition to eliminating the immediate cause of fluid stagnation, you can use an anti-edema eye product. Such a cream will contain draining (green tea, caffeine) and anti-inflammatory components (cucumber, chamomile, licorice extract).
How to apply cream to the area around the eyes
When applying cosmetics to the delicate area around the eyes, follow these rules:
- Be sure to clean the skin of the face and eyelids from makeup.
- The cream under the eyes is applied 2 times a day, and in the evening — an hour before bedtime.
- If you use a serum, it is applied first, then the eye cream and only then the face cream.
- Before applying the product to the skin around the eyes, you can wash it and leave it slightly moisturized.
- Take a small amount of the cream (the size of a pea or a grain of rice) on the ring finger. It is believed that the skin on it is the most delicate.
- First, apply the product to the area under the eyes, moving from the outer corner to the inner corner and avoiding the lash line.
- The cream is applied to the upper part of the eye from the inner part of the eye socket to the outer part, avoiding getting the product on the moving eyelid.
- Eye cream or gel is applied by patting, without pressing or rough movements — in this way, we improve blood circulation, prevent puffiness and the appearance of wrinkles.
- The product is absorbed in about 15 minutes, its excess can be wiped with a napkin.
- Edema cream will be more effective if you store it in the refrigerator.
- A tool with a metal applicator has a better effect on dark circles.
Hydrophilic oil: the best all-round product for skin cleansing
Magic wand: what is a jade roller and how it will help you forget about wrinkles
Face masks: the most interesting facts, the history of appearance and an overview of the most popular products