«Beauty requires sacrifice» — this statement is no longer for a modern woman. The introduction of many innovative technologies in the field of cosmetology, health and beauty makes it possible to carry out painless manipulations that the fair sex had to endure earlier. One such common procedure is photoepilation, which is still surrounded by many questions. Is the photoepilator harmful? Can everyone use it? Let us consider in more detail the nuances of the procedure, and what are the contraindications for the use of a photoepilator.
The principle of operation of the device
The photoepilator removes hairs in the growth stage using light pulses. Under the influence of a powerful beam, the pigment melanin, which is part of the hair, heats up, due to which the nutrition of the root is disturbed.. The hair follicle, deprived of nutrition, is destroyed, and the hair falls out after a while. After 5-10 sessions of photoepilation with an interval of 2-3 weeks, abundant growth of new hair may not be observed for several years.
The device can generate a flash of light waves with a length of 500-1200 nm. Depending on the type of skin, color and length of hair, the device is adjusted to the appropriate interval. Correct setting helps to avoid burns and pigmentation of the skin. To ensure the safety of the epilation procedure, the device is equipped with filtration and cooling systems.
Positive and negative aspects of photoepilation
Hair removal with a photoepilator is gaining momentum in beauty salons. Of course, the main advantage is the painlessness of the procedure, and this factor attracts clients to beauty parlors. Cosmetologists, unfortunately, do not always have a medical education and are often silent about the likelihood of harm to the body by carrying out this procedure. The result of manipulation with a photoepilator has its pros and cons. Positive effect from photoepilation, you can expect the following.
- The procedure does not cause pain and there is no discomfort.
- The skin remains young and elastic due to the production of elastin and collagen during the manipulation.
- Non-contact exposure of the device does not injure the skin and is unable to cause infection.
- Hair removal can be carried out on any part of the skin.
- A great benefit of a photoepilator is the elimination of ingrown hair fragments.
- The short duration of the procedure is from 5 to 25 minutes, depending on the area of the treated area.
Negative side photoepilator hair removal procedures include the following items:
- high cost of manipulation;
- possible consequences in the future after such procedures have not been investigated, tk. the method of removing unwanted hair is quite new, without long-term practice and analysis.
- if the device is set incorrectly, you can get a burn;
- with increased sensitivity of the skin, scars may remain;
- does not allow to remove fluffy and gray hairs.
- the presence of diseases does not allow this manipulation.
No matter what hazards a woman encounters, in pursuit of beauty and youth, it is still necessary to weigh all the pros and cons of procedures for the attractiveness of the body.
The main contraindications for photoepilation
Carrying out a cosmetic procedure, through which the natural functioning of the body is changed, can be harmful to a certain circle of people. It is difficult to independently determine the safety of a photoepilator. Armed with a medical card with a medical history, you need to apply for consultation with a doctor. The specialist will be able to make a comprehensive analysis and give a medical opinion regarding the application of this procedure.
There are many contraindications in the use of a photoepilator: the presence of chronic diseases or skin features can have negative health consequences. There are two groups of risk factors in the manipulation of photoepilation.
As a medical contraindication, various inflammatory processes of the skin, rashes and formations on its surface are noted. Among the diseases in which hair removal by this method is not allowed, the following are noted:
- varicose veins, even at the initial stage, with the appearance of a «vascular network»;
- hypertension and other vascular diseases, especially dangerous for pacemaker users;
- infectious diseases;
- mental disorders;
- thyroid disease;
- certain stages of diabetes;
- skin cancers.
There are also relative factors in the contraindications of the photoepilator. This risk group includes cases that are not directly related to the woman’s health, but affect the possibility of using the device. These restrictive criteria include:
- the presence of tattoos in the desired places of vegetation removal;
- «fresh» tan;
- individual intolerance;
- age threshold — adolescents under 17 years of age are not recommended this manipulation;
- it is undesirable to use a photoepilator during pregnancy and lactation.
It is also not allowed to carry out the photoepilation procedure if during this period the woman takes antibiotics and other drugs that have a photosensitizing property.
If there are no above violations in the body, you can think about getting rid of unwanted hair once and for all. The only choice that remains to be made is to photoepilate yourself or contact a beautician. Everyone should evaluate their strengths and abilities individually, but in the absence of practice and skills, it is better, of course, to trust the masters of cosmetology centers.
The effectiveness of a photoepilator at home
The effectiveness of photoepilation directly depends on the amount of melanin in the hair structure. And this means that a positive result is most likely on the hair of dark shades. Therefore, the effect of a photoepilator on gray hair is ineffective.
By adjusting the range of light waves and the number of procedures, you can achieve a positive result when removing hair of light shades. If, on average, 4-6 sessions of photoepilation are needed to remove dark hair, then fair-haired people will need twice as many sessions for a positive effect.
Important! The device is universal, it equally effectively fights with vegetation on the arms, legs, back, bikini area, face and armpits.
Thermal effect on the skin causes the following consequences:
- temporary redness and peeling on the treated area of the skin;
- a failure in pigmentation, which goes away by itself after a while;
- expansion of blood vessels;
- possible bruising and swelling;
- pain in people with a low threshold of sensitivity.
The listed elements of discomfort do not carry significant harm to health. The benefit of photoepilation is the removal of unwanted vegetation for a long period of time.
Armed with the necessary information and having studied the instructions for the photoepilator, the procedure can be carried out at home. Also, knowledge will help to evaluate the professionalism of a cosmetologist, if you decide to visit a beauty salon for this manipulation.
So, to remove hair with a light apparatus, you must follow the following rules.
- Prepare the skin for the procedure: you can not sunbathe 14 days before and after the procedure, take aggressive medications, ensure that there are no abrasions and irritations on the required area of the skin.
- Leave the length of the hair fiber no longer than 2mm. For proper epilation, you can shave the area with a regular razor 2-4 days before the procedure.
- Set up photoepilator according to skin color. The lighter the skin, the more power needed. Inexpensive models of devices manufacturers complete with a color table, with which it is easy to choose the settings for the device according to the color type of skin and hair. Expensive models are equipped with a system of sensors, thanks to which the device automatically selects the optimal mode.
- Mark the area affected by the device with a pencil and apply a special cooling gel. The light pulse has a negative effect on the retina, so you will need sunglasses.
- It is necessary to bring the device closer to the skin at such a distance that the light beam turns on, and then treat the next area. It is necessary to move the beam in such a way that the light spot does not cover the already treated area.
- The device signals the beginning and end of light exposure sound signal. The operation of the device is considered effective if a slight tingling or warmth is felt during the procedure. Strong pain, as well as the absence of any impact, is a sign of incorrect setting of the photoepilator.
- After the procedure is completed, lubricate the area of skin treated with light with panthenol.
It should be noted that after the treatment of the hairline with a photoepilator, the color of the hairs will first begin to change, and after 2 weeks they will fall out.. You can repeat the procedure no earlier than after 1 month. The destruction of all bulbs in the treated area will occur within several procedures. Depending on the structure of the fiber, up to 10 sessions may be needed.
Given that the device will be in demand again after use, it is important to clean it in a timely and thorough manner with a special spray.
Useful recommendations and an alternative to a photoepilator
To get the maximum effect and reduce the risk of negative effects of photoepilation on the skin, knowledge of the basic nuances of using the device will help.
- With the primary light exposure to the skin, it is better to try leg area.
- After the procedure, avoid hypothermia and exposure to high temperatures.
- When removing hair above the lip, it is necessary to stretch the skin as much as possible, squeezing the lips.
- The armpit area can only be effectively treated if the surface is leveled as much as possible.
- Moles must be protected from exposure to a photoepilator. To do this, you can use a cream or a regular clerical proofreader.
Harm from a photoepilator can also be obtained when improper skin care after the procedure. After exposure to a light beam on the skin, it must be protected from high temperature. For these purposes, it is worth limiting yourself from visiting the solarium and being less in the sun. It is forbidden to apply self-tanning products during the first two days. Long-term water procedures are also contraindicated, these include visiting the sauna and swimming pool. If photoepilation was performed on the face, you can not use decorative cosmetics for 3-4 days.
Ignoring the conditions of skin rehabilitation after light manipulation can lead to the formation of skin pigmentation and the formation of traces in the form of scars.
An alternative hair removal option is electrolysis.. Unlike photoepilation, it does not leave fluff and does not depend on hair color. Also, there is no such list of diseases that limit the possibility of the procedure. Electrolysis is carried out only by a specialist and has a lower cost. The only drawback is the pain of manipulation.
A woman should be not only beautiful, but also healthy. Before agreeing to a particular cosmetic procedure, it is necessary to carefully approach the issue so as not to aggravate the situation. It should be noted that the profit of beauty salons grows in proportion to the attendance of customers. Therefore, different priorities appear on the scales. Take care of your health!