The delicate skin of a baby is several times thinner than the skin of an adult, and therefore more vulnerable and sensitive. She just needs more attention and care. The condition of the baby’s skin can be affected not only by temperature factors, but also by undesirable components of cosmetics for children.
Harmful components in cosmetic products easily and quickly penetrate the upper, not yet strengthened skin barrier, and then begin to accumulate and provoke the appearance of various problems. To avoid the deterioration of the health of the child’s skin, carefully approach the choice of cosmetics. To do this, you need to familiarize yourself with the main criteria when choosing products.
What should be feared?
When choosing cosmetic products, you need to carefully read the composition of the product. You should not take the first baby product that comes across from the shelf, even if it is a fairly well-known brand. Many manufacturers are not conscientious even in the matter of making children’s cosmetics, so we advise you to familiarize yourself with our list of undesirable ingredients and take it into service.
Products that you purchase for your baby should not contain:
- Parabens (anything that starts with methyl-, propyl-, butyl-, benzyl-, ethylparaben) — cosmetic preservatives that neutralize the growth and spread of microbes. Accumulating in the body, parabens can cause allergies, have an estrogen-like effect (which is especially harmful for boys), and make the skin more susceptible to ultraviolet radiation.
- Formaldehyde are also preservatives. Like parabens, preservatives cause allergies, irritation, redness, and flaking. And on delicate baby skin, this effect is exacerbated.
- propylene glycol It is used as a solvent and emulsifier in cosmetics. A strong allergen, increases the risk of allergic reactions, especially in the case of sensitive skin prone to atopy, eczema and various kinds of dermatitis.
- Urea and its derivatives (diazolidinyl and imidazolidinyl urea) are an unstable preservative that decomposes during decomposition with the release of ammonia.
- Flavors and dyes — are used to impart a pleasant smell or color to a cosmetic product. If the product has a too bright, not natural shade, then we can say with confidence that a dye was added to it. A pronounced, persistent aroma indicates the presence of flavors and fragrances. Both those and those are synthetic, non-natural components that are dangerous for the skin of a child and can act as allergens. They increase dryness, provoke irritation and peeling. And these symptoms can intensify, paired with coughing, choking, swelling of the nasal mucosa, etc.
- Undesirable components also include mineral oil and siliconeswhich clog pores, leading to dry skin over time.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate — the well-known strong sulfate, which acts as an effective cleansing component. It leads to degreasing of the skin, loss of moisture and, as a result, the appearance of dryness and irritation.
- PEG derivatives — make the skin thinner and more permeable to other substances.
- Critical UV filters: Benzophenone-3, Benzophenone-4, Benzophenone-5, 4-Methylbenzylidene Camphor, Homosalate, Octocrylene, Octyl Methoxycinnamate.
- Oil products (paraffin and vaseline). They clog pores and prevent the skin from breathing properly.
Next, we list the markings in Latin, having met which it is worth putting the tool aside and looking for a better option.
- Methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone (in leave-in cosmetics)
- Propylparaben, butylparaben (in baby diaper cosmetics)
Safe cosmetics: main theses
So, we got acquainted with the list of negative components, and now let’s find out what a safe cosmetic product should be and what should be included in it.
- Pay attention to the age marking. On cosmetics that are suitable from the first days of life, there is a definition «from 0 to 3 years», or «without age restrictions».
- The number of ingredients in the composition. The fewer ingredients, the better! A huge number of different components clearly indicates the dubious naturalness of the product and, accordingly, is not a good remedy for a child. Such products predispose to the appearance of allergies and sensitivities, which we wrote about earlier.
- Production region. Despite the fact that high-quality cosmetics are now produced in many parts of the world, European children’s products are still considered the best. This is due to high requirements in production and a large number of studies that were carried out in European countries.
- Where is the best place to buy cosmetics for children? In a pharmacy or in stores that cooperate with an official supplier. Only there you can be sure of the authenticity of the product, its quality and compliance with the standards of its storage.
As for the composition, we advise you to look for cosmetics with mild surfactants, useful plant extracts (for example, calendula, chamomile, string, lavender and many others), vegetable oils instead of mineral oils (olive, almond, sea buckthorn oils), panthenol and vitamins. Not the last place in this list is occupied by thermal water.
List of funds required for use and their features
Let’s start with the main thing: shampoo and bathing products. Up to 6 months in the absence of permanent hair, the use of shampoo is not necessary. It can be replaced with foam or any other light means for cleansing the body and head. Be sure to choose a product with a non-aggressive pH so that the baby’s skin does not lose moisture.
A body cleanser should also have the safest possible pH. Look for products with glycerin, chamomile with string, and calendula in the composition — they not only take excellent care of children’s skin, but also help the baby fall asleep faster.
An essential element in baby skin care is a diaper cream. Almost every child suffers from dermatitis due to diapers, so make sure that the cream contains panthenol. It will relieve irritation and pain. Also, the cream is suitable for the treatment of minor skin lesions. Apply the cream on the ass free from any clothes and let the product soak in for 15-20 minutes. If you dress immediately after application, the cream will clog the pores of the diaper and moisture will be worse to penetrate into it.
Not so long ago, wet wipes began to appear in children’s product lines. They will always save in unforeseen situations. Choose wipes that are fragrance-free and dye-free, with moisturizing oils.
If your child’s skin needs extra care, moisturizing or soothing, then choose the lightest possible body care cream. It is desirable that it contains vitamins and useful microelements.
Cosmetics we trust
We know how difficult it is sometimes to choose cosmetics for delicate, sensitive skin, and especially for baby skin. Therefore, we have compiled for you a list of products in the safety and effectiveness of which we are 100% sure.
Uriage BEBE Lavante Foaming and Cleansing Cream
The composition of the Uriage BEBE Lavante foaming cream was developed by Uriage dermatological laboratories directly for the hygiene of the skin of children from the first days of life. The agent is highly tolerable, and the physiological pH in its osmotic pressure, ionic composition and value is close to blood plasma. A third of the content is milk, which performs softening and moisture-retaining functions. The main components of the cream gently cleanse the body of impurities, protecting it from drying out. Thermal water Uriage has anti-inflammatory and soothing effects. Illip extract enhances the lipid barrier of the skin, increases tissue elasticity.
La Roche-Posay Lipikar Baume AP+ Lipid-Replenishing Balm
The balm has been developed as an effective treatment for dry, irritated skin with a soothing effect. Removes unpleasant symptoms of irritation, reduces dryness, normalizes the skin condition. Thanks to him, the period of remission increases. Does not contain perfumed fragrances and parabens. Suitable for irritated skin that is accompanied by itching and scratching of the skin, and for skin prone to atopy or allergies (contact allergens according to the Standard European Allergy Test). Contains La Roche Posay Thermal Water.
Cream-care against milk crusts Bioderma ABCDerm Babysquam
Body cream BIODERMA АВСDerm Babysquam for children facilitates the removal of scales and intensively moisturizes. Thanks to the precisely adjusted content of the keratoregulatory and moisturizing active ingredients, ABCDerm Babysquam softens and separates the crusts, making them easier to remove. The baby’s skin is quickly and permanently cleansed and moisturized. Babysquam is non-sticky and washes out easily with shampoo.
Mustela Nourishing Lotion With Cold Cream
Protective lotion Mustela Bebe with cold cream is an excellent helper in the fight against the aggressive effects of external factors on the delicate and sensitive skin of a baby. It carefully cares for and protects the baby’s sensitive skin from external irritants. Eliminates the problem of dry skin, moisturizing the body and hard-to-reach folds. Nourishes and softens the skin, saturates it with the necessary useful elements. Enhances the functionality of the protective film. Suitable for children’s hygiene from the first days of life. Protects baby’s delicate skin from various external irritants (wind, frost).
Cream for diaper rash and diaper rash Weleda Calendula Baby Cream
Cream for diaper rash and diaper rash protects delicate skin from the formation of diaper dermatitis. Heals wounds, has an antibacterial effect. Has anti-inflammatory abilities. Improves skin condition, relieves irritation, removes redness and peeling. Controls normal moisture levels. Doesn’t dry out the skin. Relieves itching, burning. Returns calmness and a feeling of comfort.