Let’s get acquainted!
Cushion translated from English means «pillow» and is so named because it consists of a soft porous sponge abundantly soaked in a cosmetic product (usually powder or BB cream, corrector cushions, etc.). Cushions are produced in the form of a powder box, inside which, in addition to a sponge, there is a sponge and a mirror. The sponge loosens the foundation, thanks to which the product lies more delicately on the skin and does not roll down throughout the day. The tool itself has a light, weightless texture, due to which it quickly adapts to the tone of the face. Thanks to a convenient antibacterial sponge, the amount of cosmetics to be collected is easily regulated, the product is convenient to apply and blend. This is a great option for those who do not like heavy cosmetic products and prefer weightless make-up with a second skin effect.
The composition of the product, as a rule, contains oils and natural extracts that care for the epidermis and protect it from dehydration. Also, the tonal cushion consists of 30% mineral water and other moisturizing ingredients that prevent the product from drying out. Due to this, the effect of radiance remains on the face.
The type of product is easy to choose based on your skin type: products with a matting effect are suitable for oily and combination skin, owners of normal and dry skin should pay attention to cushions marked BB and CC creams and tonal fluids. When choosing a product, it is better to give preference to UV protection.
Tonal cushions are available in several universal shades. Cushions from Korean brands can be presented in two variations: light and dark, while European companies make the palette more diverse.
Cushion has many variations and forms. There are cushion primers, cushion blushes, cushion glosses, and even cushions for eyelids and eyebrows. In any of these cases, the cushion is the best alternative to the dry or liquid textures we are used to. The blush cushion blends very easily on the surface of the skin, creating a light veil effect, and the eyebrow cushion makes the eyebrows look more natural and full compared to regular shadows or a pencil.
Before using the product, it is recommended to apply a cream that matches your skin type on your face. Then, with light patting movements, distribute a small amount of the product on the face. If necessary, set the product with setting powder. Cushion make-up remover is easy to do with micellar liquid.
Pros and cons
Despite the fact that the cushion is considered an undisputed hit among cosmetics, it has both pros and cons that should be considered when choosing this cosmetic product.
- The weightless texture is an absolute plus. Unlike foundation, the cushion quickly adapts to the skin and is almost invisible.
- Compact and easy to apply. The cushion is convenient to take with you in your purse and update your makeup as soon as you need it.
- Persistence. Cushion does not imprint on clothes and lasts throughout the day.
- Profitability. The amount of the product is easy to adjust by pressing, the product does not leak out like in other cosmetic products and, accordingly, is not overused.
Cons of cushions:
- Small palette of shades. As a rule, manufacturers make no more than 4 shades per product, but most often you can find only two — a light and a dark tone. And although the cushion adapts well to the tone of the face, it may not suit everyone in terms of shade.
- A small amount of the product, which does not exceed 30 ml. Because of this, the tool ends faster than other tonal counterparts.
- Hygiene. Despite the fact that the sponge in the product has an antibacterial effect, and the hands are not involved in applying the cream on the face, this type of product is still not hygienic enough. If you do not pay attention to the cleanliness of the sponge, then bacteria can easily develop in a humid environment. It is also highly recommended not to allow anyone else to use the product.
- Cushion does not always have sufficient toning to hide traces of acne and post-acne.
Interested in a product? Try one of the options below!
Cushion cream from the American brand 3Lab contains special light-reflecting particles that even out skin tone and illuminate it from the inside. The face instantly becomes well-groomed, healthy and radiant. In addition, the cushion is made on the basis of centifolia rose flower water, which delivers moisture and nutrients to the deep layers of the epidermis. A high level of protection ensures a safe stay even under the scorching sun. The active ingredients of the cushion cream are seaweed extract and hydrolyzed wheat proteins, which have a calming and regenerating effect.
Cushion foundation with the lightest texture and long-wearing coverage. Perfectly hides minor skin imperfections in the form of redness, rashes and post-acne. It has a high level of UV protection — SPF 50+ PA +++. Available in two universal shades: light beige (for light, non-tanned skin) and natural beige (darker tone, suitable for swarthy). The composition of the product has natural plant extracts, including extracts of green tea, bamboo and witch hazel. Cushion does not weigh down the skin, has a moisturizing effect and protects the epidermis from drying out.
The product is based on ginseng extract, which has moisturizing properties, perfectly nourishes skin cells and prevents drying, eliminates peeling. Increases the natural protective barrier of the skin, normalizes the functioning of the epidermis. Fills in minor skin imperfections & evens out skin tone. Available in two universal shades: claire (light with a yellowish undertone) and dore (light with a pink undertone).